Welcome to our Kingdom!
A Missive from Their Royal Majesties of Æthelmearc:
From Their Majesties Maynard and Liadain
Season’s greetings and heartfelt wishes of merriment, love and laughter unto all who read
these words from Maynard and Liadain, King and Queen of Sylvan Æthlemearc.
As the cold and snow blankets Our lands, We are warmed by the fellowship of friends and family. Days are shorter and nights longer, but this allows us time to slow down, connect with each other, work on projects, discover and create new things. This change also heralds the holiday season. We hope yours are filled with the joy and magic this special time of year has to offer. Although the current climate will certainly affect traditions, there is much to be said for the normalcy those traditions bring to uncertain times.
We encourage you to embrace this time to celebrate yourselves and one another. With so much strife and conflict within our world, it is important that we do our best to be kind to one another. Continue to share the gift of friendship, love and support. Remember that we are stronger together and Æthelmearc is mighty! Our Sylvan artisans have been hard at work and we are thrilled to have the opportunity to recognize the excellence of Æthelmearc at Our Virtual Kingdom Arts and Sciences Championship held December 5th at 7:00pm. We hope you can join Us for an Æthereal Court to celebrate these good works and more.
Our sincere gratitude to Our Kingdom Ministers of Arts and Sciences, Master Hrólfr and Mistress Elska, Master Robert of Ferness, our A&S Webminister and all the participating artisans for making this exciting event happen. We encourage you to visit http://aeans.aethelmearc.org/virtual-as-championship/ for more information.
We are so very proud of all that Æthelmearc and your ongoing efforts to keep the Dream alive. Our Kingdom and the SCA as a whole continues to flourish in a virtual environment. We encourage you to participate and stay connected through the many incredible offerings throughout the Known World. We would also urge you to provide Us with feedback on how to best support you. Our contact information is available on Our website as well as in this newsletter.
Please continue to wash your hands, wear your masks and practice kindness. We raise a holiday glass to you in gratitude for your inspiration. We hold you in Our hearts and Our thoughts. Cheers Æthelmearc!
For Æthelmearc, We Remain,
Maynard and Liadain
Rex et Regina
Greetings unto the populace of Æthelmearc,
Although unable to physically gather within Our Sylvan Lands at this time, We still wish to make an appearance wherever you may be. So please take this opportunity to decorate your own set of Royalty and take Us with you on your various undertakings. Snap a picture of Us joining you on a quest, whether it be a simple undertaking, or more involved.
Tag your images or videos via social media on the SCA Æthelmearc Facebook Page or your own personal page using #AERoamingRoyals so that We may enjoy the many ventures of Our friends far and wide.
If you are interested in being included in a possible future ÆLive segment, then please also send pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org
Most of all, have fun with this! We wish wholeheartedly that We could be with you in person. Until then, show Us what We could be up to out there.
Find Us here: http://trm.aethelmearc.org/roamingroyals.html
From the Kingdom Seneschal, Mistress Illadore:
Greetings beloved Æthelmearc!
I hope the start of the Winter Season is a good one for you and yours. I hope all of Æthelmearc has a safe and happy holiday time.
I have a few notes from our Society Seneschal – look for a new mission statement sometime in 2021. Many folks provided feedback and the Board of Directors is taking their time to read all the comments. Newsletters also no longer require officers to have their addresses printed – email is fine. Also, the Board reaffirmed that expectations for behavior are the same on Social Media as they are in in person.
Finally, we have had an update to the Policy on Firearms at SCA events.
Policy on Firearms at SCA Events—Revised and approved October 2020
1. The possession of modern firearms at SCA events is prohibited, with the exception of those parts of Alaska and the Northern Provinces of Canada where bears create issues of safety.
2. This rule does not impact law enforcement officers in the performance of their duties, park rangers, or site staff who maintain firearms in the performance of their duties on a private site owned by a party other than the SCA.
3. If possession and transport of a firearm is permitted by local, state, or national law and by site regulations, a firearm may be stored out of sight in a locked vehicle or locked gun box within a vehicle. At no time may the firearm be removed from the vehicle while at an SCA event site, unless under circumstances described above.
4. The possession of air or carbon dioxide compressed air rifles or handguns firing pellets, BBs or air- soft pellets is prohibited at SCA events.
5. Any displays of pre-17th century firearms must be static in nature, and the firearm must not be functional nor displayed in such a manner that anyone other than the owner can handle it without express permission. Such firearms may not be charged or discharged at an SCA event, whether with live ammunition or blanks. No ammunition, wadding, or black powder is permitted on site. There is one exception for the Pennsic cannon, which is grandfathered into this regulation.
6. The use of carbonate facsimile “cannons” or other noise making devices will be controlled by the event steward and/or the corresponding seneschal who will determine whether they will be allowed and under what circumstances, with all consideration given to those who might be impacted by the noise.thelmearc.org) if you are interested in having a socially distant gathering.
Be well, be safe.
Update on Kingdom Heavy and Rapier Fighting
Resolution to Suspend In-Person SCA Activity until January 31st, 2021:
During the July 28, 2020, Ad Hoc meeting of the Board of Directors for the Society for Creative Anachronism, the following Resolution was passed by a unanimous vote and made effective immediately:
I. Whereas, the COVID-19 Global Pandemic has created an unparalleled challenge for the administration of the Society for Creative Anachronism. The Board of Directors acknowledges the health and well-being of the membership and participants of the SCA are of utmost importance;
II. Whereas, the Crowns of the vast majority of North American Kingdoms have petitioned the board to suspend in-person SCA events in North America until January 31st, 2021;
III. Whereas, following consultation with the Kingdom Seneschals of the North American Kingdoms, it appears that this petition is generally supported;
IV. Therefore Now Be It Resolved, The SCA Board of Directors suspends all SCA in-person events in North America until January 31st, 2021;
V. Resolved, Small local gatherings including, but not limited to, archery practice, guild meetings, officer meetings, and local martial activities shall remain at the discretion of the Crown and Kingdom Seneschal, in accordance with CDC, State, Provincial, and local health guidelines and
recommendations. Virtual events as alternatives continue to be a viable option;
VI. Resolved, The SCA Board of Directors directs the Society Seneschal to grant a blanket variance to Corpora waiving any required events such as Crown List and Coronation until January 31st, 2021, as well as extending all current reigns until a royal list can be held to determine suitable Heirs;
VII. Resolved, If a Crown or Coronet steps down without Heirs for a Kingdom or Principality, a Regent shall be installed until such time as a royal list may be held to find suitable Heirs and a Coronation or Investiture held. This regent should be installed according to the Kingdom or Principality laws that govern the appointment of Regents, after consultation with the Society Seneschal. If the Kingdom or Principality has no such law, the Kingdom Seneschal (and Principality Seneschal when appropriate) must consult with the Society Seneschal and Society President to determine an appropriate selection method for a Regent;
VIII. Resolved, the SCA Board of Directors invites Kingdoms who have determined that it is safe to host in-person events before January 31st, 2021, to request a variance from the Society Seneschal to be able to do so. The Society Seneschal shall have the authority to grant or deny these requests. These requests will be reviewed by the Board using the same review method used for variances to Corpora;
IX. Resolved, the SCA Board of Directors commends the officers, royalty, hard-working membership, and participants who have made it possible for the SCA to continue activities during these trying times.
Any commentary regarding this matter should be addressed to
email@example.com. Please use the title “Resolution” in the subject line.
NOTE: Please use the body of the email for commentary.
Attachments will cause your message to be marked as spam, and it will bounce.
In lieu of email, commentary may be sent by US Mail, Postage-Prepaid, to:
Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc.
P.O. Box 360789
Milpitas, CA 95036-0789
Information on Paid Membership, from SCA.org:
Update on SCA Membership Status Effective July 1, 2020:
We are sorry to have to report that as of July 1, 2020, we will no longer be able to leave expired memberships open as if they were current memberships. The corporation has reached a point where it needs to resume normal financial processes. Read the full notice here.
Gifting a Membership:
There has been an extremely generous response from our members, wanting to gift memberships to people in need.
If you would like to gift a membership for a specific individual, please download and follow these instructions.
News From Around the Kingdom:
Their Royal Majesties’ Upcoming Royal Progress Events
There are no upcoming events at this time.
Watch Episodes of ÆLive
Upcoming Online Activities
Upcoming Kingdom Events
- December 5 @ 9:00 am - 7:00 pm
- December 5 @ 12:00 pm - 8:00 pm
- December 12
- January 2, 2021
- January 22, 2021 - January 24, 2021
- January 23, 2021
- April 3, 2021
- April 10, 2021
- May 1, 2021
- May 8, 2021
* There is a new Kingdom Event Rotation listing for 2020-2029 found on the Seneschal Page.
* There are new Authorization Forms found on the Authorizations Clerk page.
* There are new Event Submission and Update forms found on the Event Submission Form page.
* Information regarding the icons found in event announcements can be found in the Icon Guide.
* There is a Frequently Asked Questions page on this site. Please see if your question is listed here.
* The following Kingdom Policies have been updated. Please check the new policies on the corresponding officer’s page:
– Armoured Combat (7/19) Effective 8/11/19
* Check out the Kingdom of Æthelmearc’s Facebook Feed!
Please check out all open volunteer opportunities on our Help Wanted page.
* The Kingdom Signets, Mistress Antoinette de la Croix and THL Shirin of Susa, are requesting scroll blanks for Kingdom Awards. If you are able to help out, kindly let them know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Letters of Intent are being accepted for the position of Silver Buccle Herald. This term would run from January 2021 to May Spring Crown in 2023. Any interested gentles should send letters to email@example.com by November 1, 2020.
* There is a call for Letters of Intent for anyone interested in the Office of Kingdom Signet. This is for a two-year term, starting in May 2021. Any interested gentles should send letters to firstname.lastname@example.org by December 1, 2020.
* Letters of Intent are being accepted for the position of Chancellor Minor. Any interested gentles should send letters to email@example.com as soon as possible.
* Letters of Intent are being accepted for the position of Chronicler. Any interested gentles should send letters to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
* Letters of Intent are being accepted for the position of Regional Deputy Exchequer. Any interested gentles should send letters to email@example.com as soon as possible.
* Letters of Intent are being accepted for the position of Archival Deputy. Any interested gentles should send letters to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
* Letters of Intent are being accepted for the position of Chronicler. Any interested gentles should send letters to email@example.com as soon as possible.