Welcome to our Kingdom!
A Missive from Their Royal Majesties of Æthelmearc:
In celebration of Spring Coronation, we are looking to show unity across Kingdom. In these difficult times, many of us are stuck in our homes, but it does not mean we are alone. To demonstrate this, we are asking that each member of the Kingdom take a moment to display their banners, heraldry, and colors. Starting April 2 and lasting until the end of the reign, if it is safe to do so, raise your banner poles outside your home, from your balconies, or in your windows. Let’s show the world the pride of AEthelmearc. If you cannot venture outside, hang your banners and heraldry indoors. This can be any flag (Kingdom, unit, personal, etc). If you don’t have a banner, display your shields, tabards, or artwork. Encourage your children to create drawings of their SCA adventures. Have fun and be creative. Videos are also welcome. To connect this quest to each other, We ask that each person create a post on their personal social media accounts (or group accounts). Include their local SCA group, mundane city & state, as well as the hashtags #AEBannersRaised, #SCAUnited, and #SCAatHome. The goal is to create a stream of posts that extends to all ends of the Kingdom and all spaces in-between! So please take a moment to raise spirits across the land and answer the call of Your Glorious Kingdom!
Maynard and Liadain
King and Queen
From the Kingdom Seneschal, Mistress Illadore:
Greetings my beloved Æthelmearc!
I would like to remind all Seneschals that their quarterly reports are due March 1st. Please be on time as it assists me putting in my Kingdom quarterly report.
Bids for 2021 Twelfth Night are due by June 1st of this year, with the rotation for Region 4.
I would also like to take a moment to thank outgoing Region 1, Region 2, and Region 3 deputy seneschals, Master Aelric Ravenshaw, THL Muirgheal inghean Dubhghaill, and Mistress Kelda Jurgensdocktir, and welcome our new Region 1, Region 2, and Region 3 Deputies, THL Fiachna Mac Cennetig, THL Alîme bint Yorgi, and Mistress Kateryna ty Isaf . Thank you so much. Mistress Kelda will be staying on as my special projects deputy.
I look forward to seeing some of you at Gulf Wars and Donnan Party, which you can find out more about later within the March issue of the Æstel.
Illadore de Bedegrayne
From Their Majesties Maynard and Liadain:
* Please note that at Coronation Their Majesties Maynard and Liadain noted that their form for entrants will remain open at this time.*
Greetings unto Æthlemearc from Maynard and Liadain, Heirs to the Sylvan Thrones.
While the rule of King Timothy and Queen Gabrielle is undoubtedly strong and prosperous, the Sylvan Line must be ensured. As is our duty and honor, we would encourage all to attend our upcoming Crown Tournament to be held on May 2, 2020 in the Barony of Thescorre. It is our greatest wish that all who are willing and able endeavor to participate, witness and be present for this most auspicious day in the history of Æthelmearc. The continuation of the Kingdom and succession of the Crown lay in your hands. The victor should be tested on the tournament field by every valiant and honorable combatant that Our skilled Kingdom has to offer. All combatants from novice to Knight are urged to take up arms.
It would please us greatly to host a grand tournament with a large number of combatants to truly showcase the prowess and chivalry of Æthelmearc. We will limit those requirements outside of Kingdom Law to the following:
- Prospective consorts must be present at the tournament.
- Each combatant and consort must display a banner during the grand procession.
- Combatant couples are to be announced by a herald for the grand procession.
- All modern armor and equipment must be covered. This includes modern sports equipment, company logos, bright colored or blatantly plastic armor, etc. These may be worn but concealed with a heraldic tabard, surcoat or similar covering. Modern footwear is acceptable if disguised or understated (ie. black or brown).
Please also review the section of Kingdom law listing requirements (included below in the expandable box). Contact us if you have any questions regarding any of these requirements. Be mindful that letters of intent must be postmarked or received by the Crown no later than 30 days prior to Crown Tournament. Confirmation of receipt will be provided as received. Please contact us via email if you have any concerns.
Letters of intent must include the following elements for both entrants: SCA names, Legal names, Postal Addresses, Telephone numbers, E-mail addresses, Proofs of membership, Age (proof to be supplied at Crown Tournament) and Proof of current authorization for Combatants. We would also request that the preferred titles of both fighter and consort are included in letters of intent to ensure accuracy and promote pageantry (ex. Lord, THLady, Baroness, Sir, Mistress, etc.) There is also an online Letter of Intent Form available at https://ae.scaforms.org/view.php?id=53372.
We would also like to announce that Our first Curia will take place the Sunday morning of War Practice at 10:00 am. We will publish an agenda online prior to the event. We are very much looking forward to the upcoming months and hope to see many of you in Our travels.
Maynard and Liadain
Prince and Princess
Kingdom Law: Requirements for Crown Tournament
Below are the applicable sections of Kingdom Law, which apply to both the combatant and consort.
Please click the title to expand the section.
Article III: CROWN TOURNAMENT REQUIREMENTS
Entrants in this section of Law are defined as the combatant and consort entering Crown Tournament.
All entrants in the Crown Tournament must be members of the Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc.
All entrants in the Crown Tournament must be 18 years of age or older as of the date ofCrown Tournament.
The withdrawal of either entrant from the Crown Lists shall automatically eliminate both from that Tournament, except as provided below in paragraph III-1100. Either may withdraw at any point in the Tournament by notifying the Minister of the Lists.
In order to be eligible to fight or be fought for in Crown Tournament, a person must be a subject (as defined in Corpora) of Æthelmearc for one year immediately prior to Crown Tournament and be able to demonstrate a reasonable level of participation in Æthelmearc during that period.
The Crown may waive the above requirements if the entrants are subjects of the Kingdom and able to demonstrate to the Crown’s satisfaction by their own words or by recommendation of peers of the Kingdom that they have sufficient familiarity with Kingdom Law and customs and an acceptable level of participation.
Letters of intent must be sent to the Crown.They must include the following elements for both entrants:
Proofs of membership
Age (proof to be supplied at Crown Tournament)
Proof of current authorization for Combatants
To facilitate complete letters of intent, a form is available on the Kingdom website as well as from the Crown and the Seneschal on request.Prospective entrants are encouraged but not required to use this form to ensure a complete letter. Letters of intent must be mailed, e-mailed, or hand-delivered to the Crown no later than 30 days prior to the Crown Tournament.
The Kingdom Seneschal shall verify eligibility as defined in the Bylaws and Corpora.
No person shall enter the Crown Tournament without intending an honorable attempt to compete for the Crown.At the discretion of the Royalty whose Crown it is, the Kingdom Officers who administer Crown may step aside and have their emergency deputy administer the Tourney, so they may enter. In the event a Kingdom Officer should win Crown, the Law regarding Emergency Deputies and office succession will apply.
The entrants must be acceptable to the Crown or Their representatives.
No person fighting in or being fought for in Crown Tournament may administer the Crown Tournament.
Any two people may champion each other in the Crown Lists (hereinafter referred to as a combatant couple so long as neither is championed by any other person.
If one member of a combatant couple is removed from the Crown Lists for marshallate infractions or any infractions of the Rules of the Lists, both members are ineligible to continue in that Crown Tournament. If one member of a combatant couple voluntarily withdraws as a combatant in the Lists, the MOL and Marshal will confer with the withdrawing member to determine if they are also withdrawing as consort or if the other member may continue in the Lists. If the participant withdraws both as fighter and consort, both shall be ineligible to continue in that Crown Tournament.
The preferred method of Crown Tournament is a double-elimination format.
The winner of the Crown Tournament and the winner’s consort become the new Heirs to the Throne of Æthelmearc. They are each entitled to the Title of Crown Prince or Crown Princess, as appropriate to the individual’s persona.
Upon ascending to the Throne, They may rightfully be acknowledged as Monarch and Consort with alternate Titles as appropriate to the dignity of the Throne.
News From Around the Kingdom:
Society Level Information:
Open Positions at Society Level
Please click the article’s title to see information regarding each position.
Open Position – Laurel Sovereign of Arms – Deadline May 1, 2020
The Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) is seeking candidates for the position of Laurel Principal Sovereign of Arms (Laurel).
Laurel is the principal heraldic officer of the Society and the head of the College of Arms and is responsible for fostering the study and practice of heraldry, supervising the processing of submissions, and overseeing the heraldic activities of the Known World.
Laurel is an unpaid position, currently requiring approximately 20 hours a week. The position requires considerable tact and patience, armory and onomastic knowledge, supervisory ability, the ability to work within tight deadlines and coordinate closely with Wreath, Pelican, and other staff to produce a Laurel Letter of Acceptance and Return monthly, computer literacy and word processing skills, reliable e-mail and telephone access, and time and ability to travel.
A more detailed position description can be found here: https://www.sca.org/about/positions/laurel/
Interested applicants should send a letter of interest, together with modern and SCA qualifications, hardcopy to:
Society for Creative Anachronism
Milpitas CA 95036-0789
with courtesy copies to email@example.com. The deadline for applications is May 1, 2020.
Their Royal Majesties’ Upcoming Royal Progress Events
Their Royal Highnesses’ Upcoming Royal Progress Events
There are no upcoming events at this time.
Upcoming Online Activities
There are no upcoming events at this time.
Upcoming Kingdom Events
- April 11
- April 17 - April 19
- April 18
- April 18
- April 19 @ 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
- April 23 - April 26
- May 2
- May 14 - May 17
- May 23
- May 29 - May 31
* There is a new Kingdom Event Rotation listing for 2020-2029 found on the Seneschal Page.
* There are new Authorization Forms found on the Authorizations Clerk page.
* TRH Maynard and Liadain have names Master Illadore de Bedegrayne and Master Emily of Dunhaven as Pennsic Rapier Warlords for Pennsic. Their email forwards are: Master Emily – ae.pennsicrapierwarlord1; Master Illadore – ae.pennsicrapierwarlord2; and to email both simulateously – ae.pennsicrapierwarlord .
* There are new Event Submission and Update forms found on the Event Submission Form page.
* Information regarding the icons found in event announcements can be found in the Icon Guide.
* There is a Frequently Asked Questions page on this site. Please see if your question is listed here.
* The following Kingdom Policies have been updated. Please check the new policies on the corresponding officer’s page:
– Armoured Combat (7/19) Effective 8/11/19
* Check out the Kingdom of Æthelmearc’s Facebook Feed!
* There is an immediate need for a new Kingdom Historian and an opening for a Webminister for the Historian’s Office. There is also an opening for a Webminister for the Chronicler’s Office. If you are interested, please email our Kingdom Chronicler at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* The Silver Buccle Herald, THL Sophie Davenport, is seeking 12 local heralds and a Region 5 herald. If you are interested in any of these positions, please let her know at email@example.com.
* The Kingdom Signets, Mistress Antoinette de la Croix and THL Shirin of Susa, are requesting scroll blanks for Kingdom Awards. If you are able to help out, kindly let them know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Letters of Intent are being accepted for the position of Garnet Herald (Submissions). The position opening is to finish the remainder of the current term, which ends at Spring Crown 2021. Any interested gentles should send letters to email@example.com with a cc to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
* Letters of Intent are being accepted for the position of Cornelian Herald (Deputy Herald). The position opening is to finish the remainder of the current term, which ends at Spring Crown 2021. Any interested gentles should send letters to email@example.com with a cc to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.