Welcome to our Kingdom!
A Missive from Their Royal Majesties of Æthelmearc:
From Their Majesties Maynard and Liadain
Warmest wishes and heartfelt greetings nto all who read these words, from Maynard and Liadain, King and Queen of Sylvan Æthelmearc.
As We pen this letter, We are struck with how much has changed over this past year and the day in October We won Crown Tournament. This would normally be Our last missive, but “normal” has now has new meaning – as do so many other things. Though much has changed, one constant remains – the strength, adaptability, and glory of Æthelmearc – which are a true joy to behold.
Æthelmearc is blessed with remarkable leadership and support from the ground up. We cannot express enough how proud and humbled we are to be part of this incredible organization as we continue to flourish despite adversity. Thank you, to our officers, leaders, teachers, artisans, mentors, participants – each and every one of you – no matter your role – for your part in making every day better. Though uncertainties remain, the success of our Kingdom is certain.
Our path as Monarchs remains somewhat unclear until we are once again able to safely return to in-person events. Know that We continue to stand in support of you, our Realm and Society and will do whatever is necessary to ensure continued health and happiness of our people and organization. They Sylvan Line will continue!
We deeply appreciate your continued support of Kingdom and Society directives. We know it is difficult, but we are in this together and our sacrifices now, will ensure a better tomorrow. We urge you to continue to participate in virtual events – there are so many! Check the Kingdom Website for up-to-date information. Side note: if you are reading this October letter in September, please join us for Our Curia, October 1st.
As stated previously, please contact Us with any questions, suggestions, and recommendations (Yes! This includes award recommendations!) Please join Us for ÆLive and would encourage you or your group to submit content. Content could include: skits, group brag videos, new person videos, top ten lists and more or…contact Us for specific ideas! Thank you to our contributors to date – you have provided some truly quality entertainment!
ÆLive simply could not happen without the labors of the incredible ÆLive staff who have worked tirelessly over these past many months to provide an informative, engaging platform we are quite proud of. You have our love and appreciation. Our gratitude continues to go out to our staff, officers, and to all of you for your encouragement, kindness, and many efforts in making Æthelmearc glorious.
We miss each and every one of you and extend Our love and friendship.
Until our paths again cross…
For Æthelmearc, We Remain,
Maynard and Liadain
Rex et Regina
Greetings unto the populace of Æthelmearc,
Although unable to physically gather within Our Sylvan Lands at this time, We still wish to make an appearance wherever you may be. So please take this opportunity to decorate your own set of Royalty and take Us with you on your various undertakings. Snap a picture of Us joining you on a quest, whether it be a simple undertaking, or more involved.
Tag your images or videos via social media on the SCA Æthelmearc Facebook Page or your own personal page using #AERoamingRoyals so that We may enjoy the many ventures of Our friends far and wide.
If you are interested in being included in a possible future ÆLive segment, then please also send pictures to email@example.com
Most of all, have fun with this! We wish wholeheartedly that We could be with you in person. Until then, show Us what We could be up to out there.
Find Us here: http://trm.aethelmearc.org/roamingroyals.html
From the Kingdom Seneschal, Mistress Illadore:
Greetings beloved Æthelmearc!
First and foremost, we will be having Curia on October 1st, 2020 at 7PM on Zoom. In an effort not to be Zoom bombed or the like, details will be posted very close to the event via email – and other social media avenues. Please contact me or our social media/webminister/Zoom team if you have any questions.
To all Seneschals, thank you for reporting this quarter. Next quarter’s reports will be due two weeks sooner, as the Society Seneschal is changing the required reporting date for Kingdom Seneschals. We will update the website and I will be sending out reminders ahead of time.
As a reminder, while we cannot have events, local groups can have gatherings – as long as they fall within your state and local guidelines. Think small and socially distant. If you are going to have a gathering, please contact our Deputy Kingdom Seneschal for Pandemics (Duke Christopher) at firstname.lastname@example.org – and he will be able to give you guidance on having a safer get together.
Next month we will be having another Æthelmearc Æcademy. Start thinking about what classes
you can teach now.
Know that I miss you and hope to see you soon,
Update on Kingdom Heavy and Rapier Fighting
As announced on AELive by Their Majesties, in consultation with myself, the Deputy Kingdom Seneschal for Pandemics (Duke Christopher), and Master Morien, the Kingdom Earl Marshal, we are continuing the pause on heavy fighting and rapier fighting until at least October 1st.
I know this is disappointing. I once again recommend pell work, footwork drills, zoom practices, and in general doing what you can to stay safe and sane in these times.
Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions.
Resolution to Suspend In-Person SCA Activity until January 31st, 2021:
During the July 28, 2020, Ad Hoc meeting of the Board of Directors for the Society for Creative Anachronism, the following Resolution was passed by a unanimous vote and made effective immediately:
I. Whereas, the COVID-19 Global Pandemic has created an unparalleled challenge for the administration of the Society for Creative Anachronism. The Board of Directors acknowledges the health and well-being of the membership and participants of the SCA are of utmost importance;
II. Whereas, the Crowns of the vast majority of North American Kingdoms have petitioned the board to suspend in-person SCA events in North America until January 31st, 2021;
III. Whereas, following consultation with the Kingdom Seneschals of the North American Kingdoms, it appears that this petition is generally supported;
IV. Therefore Now Be It Resolved, The SCA Board of Directors suspends all SCA in-person events in North America until January 31st, 2021;
V. Resolved, Small local gatherings including, but not limited to, archery practice, guild meetings, officer meetings, and local martial activities shall remain at the discretion of the Crown and Kingdom Seneschal, in accordance with CDC, State, Provincial, and local health guidelines and
recommendations. Virtual events as alternatives continue to be a viable option;
VI. Resolved, The SCA Board of Directors directs the Society Seneschal to grant a blanket variance to Corpora waiving any required events such as Crown List and Coronation until January 31st, 2021, as well as extending all current reigns until a royal list can be held to determine suitable Heirs;
VII. Resolved, If a Crown or Coronet steps down without Heirs for a Kingdom or Principality, a Regent shall be installed until such time as a royal list may be held to find suitable Heirs and a Coronation or Investiture held. This regent should be installed according to the Kingdom or Principality laws that govern the appointment of Regents, after consultation with the Society Seneschal. If the Kingdom or Principality has no such law, the Kingdom Seneschal (and Principality Seneschal when appropriate) must consult with the Society Seneschal and Society President to determine an appropriate selection method for a Regent;
VIII. Resolved, the SCA Board of Directors invites Kingdoms who have determined that it is safe to host in-person events before January 31st, 2021, to request a variance from the Society Seneschal to be able to do so. The Society Seneschal shall have the authority to grant or deny these requests. These requests will be reviewed by the Board using the same review method used for variances to Corpora;
IX. Resolved, the SCA Board of Directors commends the officers, royalty, hard-working membership, and participants who have made it possible for the SCA to continue activities during these trying times.
Any commentary regarding this matter should be addressed to
email@example.com. Please use the title “Resolution” in the subject line.
NOTE: Please use the body of the email for commentary.
Attachments will cause your message to be marked as spam, and it will bounce.
In lieu of email, commentary may be sent by US Mail, Postage-Prepaid, to:
Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc.
P.O. Box 360789
Milpitas, CA 95036-0789
Information on Paid Membership, from SCA.org:
Update on SCA Membership Status Effective July 1, 2020:
We are sorry to have to report that as of July 1, 2020, we will no longer be able to leave expired memberships open as if they were current memberships. The corporation has reached a point where it needs to resume normal financial processes. Read the full notice here.
Gifting a Membership:
There has been an extremely generous response from our members, wanting to gift memberships to people in need.
If you would like to gift a membership for a specific individual, please download and follow these instructions.
News From Around the Kingdom:
Their Royal Majesties’ Upcoming Royal Progress Events
There are no upcoming events at this time.
Watch Episodes of ÆLive
Upcoming Online Activities
Upcoming Kingdom Events
- September 25 - September 27
- October 1 @ 7:00 pm - 11:00 pm
- October 10
- October 17
- October 24
- October 30 - November 1
- November 14
- November 14
- December 5 @ 9:00 am - 7:00 pm
- December 12 @ 10:00 am - 8:00 pm
* There is a new Kingdom Event Rotation listing for 2020-2029 found on the Seneschal Page.
* There are new Authorization Forms found on the Authorizations Clerk page.
* There are new Event Submission and Update forms found on the Event Submission Form page.
* Information regarding the icons found in event announcements can be found in the Icon Guide.
* There is a Frequently Asked Questions page on this site. Please see if your question is listed here.
* The following Kingdom Policies have been updated. Please check the new policies on the corresponding officer’s page:
– Armoured Combat (7/19) Effective 8/11/19
* Check out the Kingdom of Æthelmearc’s Facebook Feed!
Please check out all open volunteer opportunities on our Help Wanted page.
* The Silver Buccle Herald, THL Sophie Davenport, is seeking 12 local heralds and a Region 5 herald. If you are interested in any of these positions, please let her know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* The Kingdom Signets, Mistress Antoinette de la Croix and THL Shirin of Susa, are requesting scroll blanks for Kingdom Awards. If you are able to help out, kindly let them know at email@example.com.
* Letters of Intent are being accepted for the position of Garnet Herald (Submissions). The position opening is to finish the remainder of the current term, which ends at Spring Crown 2021. Any interested gentles should send letters to firstname.lastname@example.org with a cc to email@example.com as soon as possible.
* Letters of Intent are being accepted for the position of Cornelian Herald (Deputy Herald). The position opening is to finish the remainder of the current term, which ends at Spring Crown 2021. Any interested gentles should send letters to firstname.lastname@example.org with a cc to email@example.com as soon as possible.
* There is a call for Letters of Intent for anyone interested in the Office of Kingdom Signet. This is for a two-year term, starting in May 2021. Any interested gentles should send letters to firstname.lastname@example.org by December 1, 2020.
* Letters of Intent are being accepted for the position of Chancellor Minor. Any interested gentles should send letters to email@example.com as soon as possible.
* Letters of Intent are being accepted for the position of Chronicler. Any interested gentles should send letters to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
* Letters of Intent are being accepted for the position of Regional Deputy Exchequer. Any interested gentles should send letters to email@example.com as soon as possible.
* Letters of Intent are being accepted for the position of Archival Deputy. Any interested gentles should send letters to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
* Letters of Intent are being accepted for the position of Chronicler. Any interested gentles should send letters to email@example.com as soon as possible.