Welcome to our Kingdom!
A Missive from Their Royal Majesties of Æthelmearc:
We have traveled far in the last few months and seen much of this wonderful realm and its people. We are very pleased to see the art, valor and service our people exemplified. As our daylight hours grow shorter now is the time to spend with friends telling stories, working on arts, sampling the arts of the brew-masters, but always keeping our steel sharp. There will be a virtual fall academy. This is a great opportunity to share and learn. We look forward to seeing you online then. While there is not a Kingdom 12th night this year, there will probably opportunities for local celebrations. Please be careful and safe, protect one another by following the guidelines. We plan to go to Gulf Wars in March. Join us to bring renown for our lands in battle and Arts. Many warriors from AEthelmearc will be participating in the viking Deed at Gulf Wars as well.
Ad Glorium AEthelmearc
Gareth and Juliana, Rex and Regina
From the Kingdom Seneschal, Mistress Illadore:
On 27 August 2021, Their Royal Majesties, Maynard von dem Steine and Líadain ní Dheirdre Chaomhánaigh, the Crown of Aethelmearc, have issued a Temporary Removal from Participation from the SCA against Amy Simeister, known in the Society as Constantina Warbler.
AEthelmearc Covid Policy Link Covid Policy Document
I am happy to report we have had an amazing opening of Æthelmearc, and not one but two Crown tournaments! I must thank Baron Arias Beltran del Valle and Master Eric Grenier de Labarre for coming together with two amazing Crown events in such a short time. I would also like to thank the Shire of Heronter for allowing us to have Coronation at Harvest Raid, again with short notice. Æthelmearc is an amazing place and can accomplish so many things when we put our minds to it! Thank you all so much for your hard work and for getting Æthelmearc back on track. In more of my usual vein of news, as a reminder, Æthelmearc has decided to follow the new SCA COVID Safe policy. You can find out more about it here: https://www.sca.org/news/covidsafe-proof-of-fully-vaccinatedstatus-or-negative-covid-test-policy-resolution/ There has been a recent change in policy, as of now – event organizers or their designees (so Autocrats, Marshals, etc.) must check for proof of being fully vaccinated or a negative COVID test at an event. The event organizer may designate multiple people to perform the vaccination/negative COVID test check where each person performing the check is responsible for all people whose last name begins within a specified subset of the alphabet (for example, one person for A-H, one person for IM, etc.). Also of note, Æthelmearc requires all participants to wear masks inside, regardless of vaccination status, as long as your county (whether it is the one you are visiting or the one you live in) is at the substantial or high transmission rate, per the CDC tracker. Unfortunately, all of Æthelmearc falls in this category for now. This also includes during fighter or fencer practice. I know as one who has to do it herself, this is less than optimal – but it is what we need to do to keep transmission risk lower. As a reminder, we did unfortunately have three individuals reporting COVID symptoms after events/ practices recently. The pandemic is not over. (Thankfully, tho, no community spread has been detected as of yet – tho – it is still early.) I hope all is well. Know that I am looking forward to seeing you all soon.
Illadore de Bedegrayne
Illadore de Bedegrayne
New COVID Policy for Æthelmearc (as of October 4, 2021):
Greetings from Illadore.
As you have likely seen, the SCA is allowing Kingdoms to adopt their new COVID Policy. In consultation with Their Majesties and Duke Christopher (our Deputy Kingdom Seneschal for Pandemics), Æthelmearc will be adopting that policy and it will go into effect next Monday, October 4th.
We want to give the Kingdom a week to come up with their questions and get prepared. The policy requires that everyone over the age of 11 (so 12 and up) to either show their proof of vaccination or a negative Covid-19 test within the past 72 hours. The Board of Directors has also clarified that by “events”, they are using the Corpora definition. This means any event, practice, gathering, meeting or anything else we do in physical spaces is covered by this policy. (Obviously, you do not have to show your vaccine card to attend a Zoom.)
We know this is going to be a burden for some and others will choose not to attend. I understand your feelings and I sincerely hoped we would not be in this position at this time. Unfortunately, the pandemic is continuing and we still have widespread community transmission in every county in Æthelmearc. It is our assessment this policy will make those attending AE events safer for more people. We feel this is the way towards getting back to a “more normal.”
This also means our first actual “event event” that will require the policy will be the Æthelmearc October 9th Crown Tourney. There will be no exceptions to the policy for that event. Everyone who attends who is 12 and up must be vaccinated or show proof of a negative test within 72 hours of the event.
This is going to require a change in how we do a few things – first and foremost, we will have to check-in first at an event. This will likely slow down trolling in, so you may have to add time into your plans.
We know you have many questions. I will be doing more updates in the near future (including a summary of all the policy rules for Æthelmearc) and His Grace Duke Christopher and I will be holding a Zoom town hall next Tuesday.
Stay safe my friends,
Regional Vice President, SCA Æthelmearc
Illadore de Bedegrayne
Resolution to Lift Suspension of In-Person Activity in the SCA as of June 1st, 2021
On March 23, 2021, the Board of Directors passed the Resolution to Lift Suspension of In-Person Activity in the SCA as of June 1st, 2021 (North America).
Details of the Resolution and its conditions are located here: https://www.sca.org/news/resolutiontoliftsuspensionapril2021/
On March 23, 2021, the Board of Directors passed the following:
Resolution to Lift Suspension of In-Person Activity in the SCA as of June 1st, 2021
I. Whereas the challenge created by the COVID-19 Global Pandemic demanded heightened safety standards which led to a suspension of in-person activity in North America by the SCA Board of Directors;
II. Whereas the crisis of the Pandemic is being addressed through a combination of social policy, as well as scientific and medical advancements;
III. Whereas the SCA Board of Directors continues to prioritize the health and well-being of the membership and participants of the SCA; and
IV. Whereas the directed suspension of in-person events in North America expires after May 31st, 2021; now, therefore, be it
V. Resolved, that the SCA Board of Directors lifts the suspension of in-person activity in North America, effective June 1, 2021, provided adherence to the items in this resolution;
VI. Resolved, that all attendees in North America must follow all province, territory, state, and local health guidelines at SCA events. In addition, at all North American SCA events:
A. Masks that fully cover the mouth and nose must be worn by all attendees over the age of 4 at all times and during all activities except for eating and drinking;
B. Court, bardic circles, or any activity that involves voice projection shall also require that masks be worn at all times. Sound amplification devices are highly recommended;
C. No day board, water-bearing, or food of any kind shall be provided by event staff or attendees to other attendees. All attendees must provide their own food and beverages;
D. While consuming food or beverages, attendees are required to remain stationary and follow social distancing rules;
E. No overnight camping shall be allowed;
F. All events shall be held outdoors;
G. There shall be a maximum of 150 people at any event; and
H. All events shall require preregistration.
VII. Resolved, that the SCA Board of Directors mandates applicable Kingdoms who have determined that it is safe to host in-person events before June 1st, 2021 or who propose any deviation from the above restrictions to request a variance from the Society Seneschal in order to hold the proposed event. The Society Seneschal shall have the authority to grant or deny these requests. These requests will be reviewed by the Board using the same review method used for variances to Corpora;
VIII. Resolved, that small local gatherings including, but not limited to: guild meetings, officer meetings, and local martial activities including archery and thrown weapons shall remain at the discretion of the Crown and Kingdom Seneschal, in accordance with province, territory, state, and local health guidelines. Virtual events as alternatives continue to be a viable option;
IX. Resolved, that enforcement of this resolution will be handled by the Society Seneschal and President of SCA Inc.; and,
X. Resolved, that the SCA Board of Directors commends the hard-working officers, royalty, membership, and participants who have allowed the SCA to continue to flourish virtually as we lift this suspension and transition forward in a manner consistent with recommended health and safety standards.
The President and the Society Seneschal have been given the responsibility of implementing the resumption of events within the rules above and adjusting the strictures as needed with Board approval.
As per item (H) in the Resolution, SCA, Inc. has available the Event Module for the mandatory pre-registration process. All kingdoms are encouraged to utilize this tool. More information will be forthcoming from the SCA Accounting Specialist, Mazelle Attiya. If you would like to contact her about this available option, she can be reached at email@example.com.
This is our first step toward the resumption of SCA events. Working with the corporate officers and with input from the various kingdoms, we will continue to assess the pandemic environment and make changes going forward as needed, either to add further restrictions or relax existing ones as the situation allows.
No matter what safety precautions we put in place, there is no substitute for each individual being educated about the risk to themselves and their loved ones, and making responsible choices to protect themselves and others from this virus.
We look forward to seeing many of you, in person and in garb, as we prepare to begin in-person events again.
Kingdom E-Newsletters Available to All – December 1, 2020
During the October 2020 meeting, the Board of Directors voted unanimously in favor of the removal of the “paid members only” barrier from the sca.org e-newsletter online portal.
As of December 1, 2020, the paywall will be removed from newsletters, inter-kingdom directory and Board Minutes. This will give all participants and groups the opportunity to explore the rich and abundant history of the SCA. We are hoping these documents can be used as historical references and tools to help us grow the SCA community.
Subscribers to the paper copies of Kingdom newsletters will not be affected by this change. Your paper subscriptions will continue to be mailed to you in a timely manner.
Newsletters can be found by clicking on this link: https://members.sca.org/apps/#Newsletters
Information on Paid Membership, from SCA.org:
Update on SCA Membership Status Effective July 1, 2020:
We are sorry to have to report that as of July 1, 2020, we will no longer be able to leave expired memberships open as if they were current memberships. The corporation has reached a point where it needs to resume normal financial processes. Read the full notice here.
Gifting a Membership:
There has been an extremely generous response from our members, wanting to gift memberships to people in need.
If you would like to gift a membership for a specific individual, please download and follow these instructions.
News From SCA.org and Around the Kingdom:
Their Royal Majesties’ Upcoming Royal Progress Events
Their Royal Highnesses’ Upcoming Royal Progress Events
Upcoming Online Activities
Upcoming Kingdom Events
- December 4 @ 11:00 am - 4:30 pm
- December 11 @ 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
- January 1, 2022 @ 12:00 pm - 8:00 pm
- January 15, 2022 @ 11:00 am - 5:00 pm
- January 22, 2022 @ 9:30 am - 10:00 pm
- January 29, 2022 @ 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
- February 12, 2022 @ 9:00 am - 6:30 pm
- February 19, 2022 @ 8:00 am - February 20, 2022 @ 4:00 pm
- February 26, 2022 @ 9:00 am - 7:00 pm
- March 4, 2022 @ 4:00 pm - March 6, 2022 @ 12:00 pm
* Vivant to the following people being named to Kingdom Positions:
Master Jonathan Blaecstan – Sylvan Signet
* There are new Authorization Forms found on the Authorizations Clerk page.
* There are new Event Submission and Update forms found on the Event Submission Form page.
* Information regarding the icons found in event announcements can be found in the Icon Guide.
* There is a Frequently Asked Questions page on this site. Please see if your question is listed here.
* The following Kingdom Policies have been updated. Please check the new policies on the corresponding officer’s page:
– Armoured Combat (7/19) Effective 8/11/19
* Check out the Kingdom of Æthelmearc’s Facebook Feed!
Please check out all open volunteer opportunities on our Help Wanted page.
* Position Needed College of Heralds Exchequer. If you are interested in serving the College in this manner, please reach out to me. If you have any questions about the job you can contact myself or the current Exchequer Baron Edward.
* Call for Letters for Kingdom Minister of Arts & Sciences. Copies of your Letter should be sent to Their Royal Majesties at firstname.lastname@example.org & email@example.com, to our Kingdom Seneschal at firstname.lastname@example.org and to us at email@example.com. To be considered, the Letters should be in our email boxes by November 1st, 2021. For any questions, please feel free to contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Letters of intent are being accept for the position of Kingdom Minister of the List. Position will change at Kingdom 12th night. If you are interested, please forward your letter of intent as well as your resume to the following: Their Majesties Gareth and Juliana at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org; the Seneschal Mistress Illadore de Bedegrayne at email@example.com; the Kingdom Earl Marshal Master Morien MacBain at firstname.lastname@example.org and myself at email@example.com.
* Letters of intent are being accept for the position of Kingdom Rapier Marshal. Deadline is December 2021. Please send letters of interest, with your SCA resume, to Their Majesties, Morein, and firstname.lastname@example.org
* Letters of intent are being accepted for the position of Kingdom Exchequer. Any interested gentles should send letters to email@example.com as soon as possible.
* The Kingdom Signets, Mistress Antoinette de la Croix and THL Shirin of Susa, are requesting scroll blanks for Kingdom Awards. If you are able to help out, kindly let them know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Letters of Intent are being accepted for the position of Chancellor Minor. Any interested gentles should send letters to email@example.com as soon as possible.
* Letters of Intent are being accepted for the position of Regional Deputy Exchequer. Any interested gentles should send letters to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
* Letters of Intent are being accepted for the position of Pennsic Chamberlain. Any interested gentles should send letters to email@example.com as soon as possible.