Welcome to our Kingdom!
A Missive from Their Royal Majesties of Æthelmearc:
Unto glorious Æthelmearc do Timothy and Gabrielle, send greetings,
As you read this, We have most likely already stepped up to the Throne. It has been a joy to serve as your Prince and Princess, and We look forward to continuing to serve as your King and Queen. Like most of you, We are saddened that our country is being pulled into camps by extremists on both ends of the political spectrum. We take heart in the knowledge that Æthelmearc provides a refuge, as we are a Kingdom in a Society that has its foundations built upon people who hold honor and kindness amongst their most cherished virtues. We will endeavor to do all We can to ensure that this refuge isn’t disturbed.
We have shared that one of Our goals for our reign is to try and bring the different communities in Æthelmearc closer together. We are doing what We can to facilitate this, for instance, where We can, We are coordinating the Champions tournaments with other events, so different communities can interact with and support each other. As always, We encourage each and every one of you to go outside your comfort zone. Try a new thing. You may enjoy it.
But We ask all of you to help. One of the most common activities in the SCA is the weekly marital practice, of whatever flavor, heavy, fencing, rapier, archery. If you run one of these, let the local Minister of Arts and Sciences know that you would love to have the local artisans join you. We’ve done this at Our local fighter/rapier practice and are pleased that as much of the foot traffic of interested nonmembers goes to the people weaving, embroidering and spinning, as it does to the folks swinging the swords, be they rattan or steel.
We recently received a letter from a newer member who has tried to attend her local practice as a fiber type and did not feel particularly welcome. Not because folks were impolite, but because folks didn’t chat with her because there wasn’t anyone with similar interests present. A&S officers, you don’t have to wait for an invitation. Contact the local marshal and ask if they can set aside a table and some chairs for you to join them. Have your weekly sewing circle, or guild meeting at a practice. Make it easier for those of martial inclination to see what the broader Society has to offer.
One of the things We would really like to support this reign is the number of Cut and Thrust fighters. To this end, we are hoping that when there is a rattan and rapier tournament at the same time that the highest 4 from each who are authorized in C and T can meet in a single elimination tournament. C and T is lots of fun. I (Timothy) look forward to getting My authorization for grappling (yes heavy fighters you heard that correctly, grappling).
Before We end this letter, there are several people We wish to recognize for their efforts on behalf of the Kingdom. First are their Graces, Gareth and Julianna. What some folks don’t realize is that when you win Crown, what you have won isn’t a tourney, it’s the opportunity, indeed the privilege of serving your Kingdom. Regardless of the job you do, you get a Coronet. While they may be nice and shiny, what you really hope to earn is the gratitude, respect and love of the people you have served. And Their Graces have done that in spades. While we aren’t as large as some kingdoms, our population is widely dispersed. You need to serve everyone, not just those in the large groups. The amount of traveling their Graces did throughout Our kingdom is astounding, especially considering that his Grace’s mundane work commitment requires him to be at work early Sunday morning. They made it a point to serve every
citizen, regardless of where they live, and regardless of what their interests are. We are grateful for their service to Æthelmearc.
Our Kingdom has also been blessed with remarkable officers. We feel one group in particular deserves special mention. The folks in the Signet’s office have done an amazing job for a very long time. Event after event, court after court, there is almost always a scroll for the recipient. The system should work smoothly, but as of late, things are a little out of sync. TRMs didn’t get the results from the polling orders until very late into their Reign, and for whatever reason, people haven’t been submitting letters of recommendation until shortly before an event. We have a large and very active scribal community, and if a poll doesn’t come back till just before the end of a reign, or an AoA recommendation doesn’t come in till just a few days before the event, the Signet Office cannot enlist the ready, willing and able scribes, and they take it on their shoulders to ensure that TRMs have a scroll to give the worthy recipient. They have done an amazing job at this, but no one can keep up that pace forever. We are working with the Signets office and will be discussing this issue with the polling orders to get things back in sync.
All of you can help. Don’t recommend someone for this weekend’s event, recommend someone for the event in 6 or 8 weeks. Our schedule is out there, you can ahead and see what event to suggest for your recommendation, and even better, help ensure that person goes to the event and stays for court!
As always, we remain in eternal service to Æthelmearc, and the Society,
Timothy and Gabrielle
From the Kingdom Seneschal, Mistress Illadore:
Unto the Glorious Kingdom of Æthelmearc, Greetings from Mistress Illadore de Bedegrayne, Seneschal,
I would like to take a moment to thank everyone who helped make this past Pennsic such an amazing success. Thank you to everyone who helped out, did a volunteering shift, marshaled,
heralded, scribed, or did one of the hundred other things necessary to help make Pennsic possible. You are the backbone of this amazing Kingdom and I thank you.
Calling for letters for Social Media Deputy. Baroness Hilda, who has done a fantastic job, would like to step down. Please see that announcement in the Æstel.
Please also see the joint announcement from the Seneschal and Exchequer in this issue!
We are pleased to try to help make Kingdom level events more accessible to families.
The Society Seneschal has reminded us that no SCA forms (not Æthelmearc forms but Society forms) should be hosted on Kingdom or local websites or databases, but instead we should link to the forms at sca.org. This ensures that the most updated forms are being used and does not delay any processing for things like insurance or background checks.
Fall Crown will be happening at the Sherrill Community Activity Center.
Address: 139 East Hamilton Ave., Sherrill, NY 13461, on October 12th.
Please see the event announcement for further details regarding the event.
I am delighted to say that Kingdom 12th Night will be in St. Swithin’s Bog. I am happy to note that there is no site fee for those 17 and under. Please see the event announcement later in [the AEstel].
Hope to see you all at an event soon,
Requests for Commentary – Corpora IV.B.A – Royalty Qualifications
The Board of Directors is currently requesting commentary regarding a proposed change to Corpora IV.B.1 – Royalty Qualifications.
Corpora IV.B.1 currently reads:
Each competitor in a Royal List must be fighting for a prospective consort of the opposite sex unless the Crown has elected to permit a competitor to fight for a prospective consort of the same sex.
The following change in language is proposed:
Each competitor in a Royal List must be fighting for a designated consort, without discrimination based on race, gender, religion, national origin, or disability.
Please email all commentary to email@example.com.
Please use the title “Corpora IV.B.A” in the subject line.
Do not use attachments in your commentary to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Attachments will cause your message to be marked as spam.
In lieu of email, commentary may be sent by US Mail, Postage-Prepaid, to:
Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc.
RE: Corpora IV.B.A
P.O. Box 360789
Milpitas, CA 95036-0789
Commentary regarding this proposed Corpora change, whether sent by email or US Mail, must be received by the Board no later than October 1, 2019.
Their Royal Majesties’ Upcoming Royal Progress Events
Their Royal Highnesses’ Upcoming Royal Progress Events
There are no upcoming events at this time.
Upcoming Kingdom Events
- September 27 @ 5:00 pm - September 29 @ 10:00 am
- October 5 @ 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
- October 12 @ 8:30 am - 8:00 pm
- October 19 @ 9:00 am - 9:00 pm
- October 26 @ 9:00 am - 6:00 pm
- November 2
- November 2 @ 9:00 am - 6:00 pm
- November 2 @ 12:00 pm - November 3 @ 10:00 am
- November 8 @ 5:00 pm - November 10 @ 12:00 pm
- November 16 @ 9:00 am - 6:00 pm
* There is a new Society Harassment and Bullying Policy, which can be found at http://socsen.sca.org/the-sca-harrassment-and-bullying-policy/.
* The new Æthelmearc Fighter Data Roster is available at http://authclerk.aethelmearc.org. Any questions or comments can be sent to Mistress Maria Christina de Cordoba, Kingdom Authorization Clerk, at email@example.com.
* There are new Authorization Forms found on the Authorizations Clerk page.
* From the Kingdom Authorization Clerk, Mistress Maria Christina de Cordoba: The on line roster was never intended to replace the authorization cards. Walking up to the List table and telling the MoL you don’t need an authorization card because it is on line and they can look it up, is not acceptable. This will not be tolerated. If you look at your card it clearly states, “Be prepared to present this card to any marshal or List official, upon request, when involved in combat activties.” It is your responsibility to have your card, or a copy, with you.
* There are new Event Submission and Update forms found on the Event Submission Form page.
* Information regarding the icons found in event announcements can be found in the Icon Guide.
* There is a Frequently Asked Questions page on this site. Please see if your question is listed here.
* The following Kingdom Policies have been updated. Please check the new policies on the corresponding officer’s page:
– Armoured Combat (7/19) Effective 8/11/19
– Adult Authorization Form Effective 8/11/19
* Check out the Kingdom of Æthelmearc’s Facebook Feed!
* There is an immediate need for a new Kingdom Historian and an opening for a Webminister for the Historian’s Office. There is also an opening for a Webminister for the Chronicler’s Office. If you are interested, please email our Kingdom Chronicler at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* The Silver Buccle Herald, THL Sophie Davenport, is seeking 12 local heralds and a Region 5 herald. If you are interested in any of these positions, please let her know at email@example.com.
* The Kingdom Signets, Mistress Antoinette de la Croix and THL Shirin of Susa, are requesting scroll blanks for Kingdom Awards. If you are able to help out, kindly let them know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Letters of Intent are being accepted for the position of NMR Deputy. Letters are due by October 11, 2019. Please email email@example.com to apply.
* Letters of Intent are being accepted for the position of Kingdom Social Media Officer. Letters are due by October 28, 2019. Please email both firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com to apply.
* Letters of Intent are being accepted for the position of Kingdom Minister of Arts & Sciences. Letters are due by November 15, 2019. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.
* Letters of Intent are being accepted for the position of Kingdom Authorization Clerk. Letters are due by December 1, 2019. Please email email@example.com to apply.
* Letters of Intent are being accepted for the position of Kingdom Webminister. Letters are due by February 1, 2020. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.