Welcome to our Kingdom!
A Missive from Their Royal Majesties of Æthelmearc:
Greetings citizens of noble Æthelmearc
We write this message looking forward into the warm raiding season. We have traveled many miles these last few months to prepare for the coming time of war. We will be traveling to Calontir for “The War of the Lilies” in a few days, to spend time with friends and allies. Soon after We return We will review Our cavalry at “A Kingdom for My Horse”. After that We will train with Our army at “Pax Interuptus” and finalize Our plans at “Bog 3 Day”.
We are also working on things to make Our Kingdom camp at Pennsic more welcoming to Our populace. Several things are being upgraded in Our hospitality area. We are building a lower rail and sheetwall around the public areas of Æthelmearc Royal. All the metal hardware has been made to accommodate this by Lord Rikard Blakki Bjarn, Lord Otto Boesse and His Majesty. We still need help sewing and marking sheet wall panels. Those workshops will be announced very soon.
War is upon us. Sharpen your blades, polish your armor, train mind and body, learn all you can and help all you can.
Gareth and Juliana
King and Queen, Æthelmearc
Curia of TRM Gareth and Juliana
From the Seneschal:
The Curia of TRM Gareth and Juliana will be held next FRIDAY evening at 8PM at the Bog Three Day at New Germany Grove Hall, 1635 New Germany Road, Summerhill, PA 15958.
The following have seats on the Curia Regis: the Crown and Their Heirs, the Officers of the Kingdom, the Peers of the realm, the territorial Barons/ Baronesses of the realm, and the local seneschals of the realm.
All are welcome to attend this meeting and see how the business of the Kingdom is conducted.
Great officers, please submit your written reports to me no later than next Monday, July 8th.
From the Kingdom Seneschal, Duke Christopher:
Unto the Glorious Kingdom of Æthelmearc, Greetings from Duke Christopher, Seneschal.
Congratulations to TRH Timothy and Gabrielle, Heirs to the Sylvan Thrones. Please offer them your support as you are able for their upcoming reign.
There will be a meeting of local seneschals at Pennsic. Currently we are scheduled for 10 AM August 7th in Æthelmearc Royal. Topics will include responsibilities of local seneschals, the importance of reporting, and identification of your deputies/successors.
Autocrats please work to get your event submissions complete and on the Kingdom calendar in a timely fashion. We’ve recently had some significant issues regarding incomplete announcements and late announcements that have required the Webminister and Event Coordinator to track down the information to ensure complete announcements. This is not the responsibility of these officers. It is incumbent on the autocrat, and ultimately, the seneschal hosting the event, that the announcement be done completely and in a timely manner.
The current copy of Kingdom Law has been posted on the webpage. This is current through the end of the reign of Her Grace Anna Leigh.
Coronation will be in Angel’s Keep and Fall Crown will be in Coppertree. Please check the website for details.
Autocrats for Kingdom events please remember that I need to review any contract for an event site before it is signed. This is a corporate requirement. If you are the autocrat of a Crown, Coronation, 12th night, or Æcademy the contract must be sent to the Seneschal for review.
Great officers and local seneschals, please make sure that your listings are correct in the Kingdom Regnum in preparation for my turnover of this office to Mistress Illadore in September. If they are not correct, please notify me so that corrections can be made, as updates to the Regnum must be approved by the Seneschal.
See you all at Pennsic.
Updated Icon System for Event Announcements:
Greetings unto the Most Glorious Kingdom of Æthelmearc!
We have been working on streamlining the icon system seen on event announcements on the website.
We will only display an icon for alcohol, flames, and weapons if the item is specifically stated as prohibited/not allowed.
Here are the details of the updated system:
If a site allows either open or contained flames, there will be no icon displayed as it allows some type of fire.
A site that does not allow flames will display a black “do not” sign over flame.
If a site is wet or damp, there will be no icon displayed as it allows some type of alcohol on site.
A site that does not allow any alcohol (aka – a dry site) will display a black “do not” sign over a wine glass.
If a site allows weapons or tied weapons, there will be no icon displayed.
[Please Note: If your event allows rattan or rapier fighting, you *will* have weapons allowed on site.]
A site that does not allow any weapons, will display a black “do not” sign over a weapons.
If a site does not allow pets (other than Service animals), the service animals only icon will be displayed.
ADA Compliance will still display either icon for Non-ADA Compliance (black “do not sign” over a wheelchair) or ADA compliance (a wheelchair).
The chart that displays all our icons is found at http://aethelmearc.org/calendar-2/icon-guide/.
Please note that all information that has been previously collected on event submission and update forms will still be collected as we still program this information into categories in the system. Events can be sorted as a damp event, etc. You can find a directory for the sorted events at http://aethelmearc.org/event-listing-by-category/.
If you have any questions about the icon system, please email Baroness Amalie at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you on behalf of the Web Team.
Requests for Commentary – Corpora IV.B.A – Royalty Qualifications
The Board of Directors is currently requesting commentary regarding a proposed change to Corpora IV.B.1 – Royalty Qualifications.
Corpora IV.B.1 currently reads:
Each competitor in a Royal List must be fighting for a prospective consort of the opposite sex unless the Crown has elected to permit a competitor to fight for a prospective consort of the same sex.
The following change in language is proposed:
Each competitor in a Royal List must be fighting for a designated consort, without discrimination based on race, gender, religion, national origin, or disability.
Please email all commentary to email@example.com.
Please use the title “Corpora IV.B.A” in the subject line.
Do not use attachments in your commentary to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Attachments will cause your message to be marked as spam.
In lieu of email, commentary may be sent by US Mail, Postage-Prepaid, to:
Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc.
RE: Corpora IV.B.A
P.O. Box 360789
Milpitas, CA 95036-0789
Commentary regarding this proposed Corpora change, whether sent by email or US Mail, must be received by the Board no later than October 1, 2019.
Their Royal Majesties’ Upcoming Royal Progress Events
Their Royal Highnesses’ Upcoming Royal Progress Events
Upcoming Kingdom Events
- July 26 - August 11
- August 24 @ 9:00 am - 10:00 pm
- August 30 - September 2
- August 30 - September 2
- August 30 @ 5:00 pm - September 2 @ 11:00 am
- September 14 @ 10:00 am - 9:00 pm
- September 21 @ 9:00 am - 8:00 pm
- September 27 - September 29
- October 5 @ 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
- October 12 @ 8:30 am - 8:00 pm
* King Gareth has declared that Æthelmearc will be siding with the Dragon of the Middle at the Pennsic War.
* There is a new Society Harassment and Bullying Policy, which can be found at http://socsen.sca.org/the-sca-harrassment-and-bullying-policy/.
* The new Æthelmearc Fighter Data Roster is available at http://authclerk.aethelmearc.org. Any questions or comments can be sent to Mistress Maria Christina de Cordoba, Kingdom Authorization Clerk, at email@example.com.
* There are new Authorization Forms found on the Authorizations Clerk page.
* From the Kingdom Authorization Clerk, Mistress Maria Christina de Cordoba: The on line roster was never intended to replace the authorization cards. Walking up to the List table and telling the MoL you don’t need an authorization card because it is on line and they can look it up, is not acceptable. This will not be tolerated. If you look at your card it clearly states, “Be prepared to present this card to any marshal or List official, upon request, when involved in combat activties.” It is your responsibility to have your card, or a copy, with you.
* There are new Event Submission and Update forms found on the Event Submission Form page.
* Information regarding the icons found in event announcements can be found in the Icon Guide.
* There is a Frequently Asked Questions page on this site. Please see if your question is listed here.
* Check out the Kingdom of Æthelmearc’s Facebook Feed!
* There is an immediate need for a new Kingdom Historian and an opening for a Webminister for the Historian’s Office. There is also an opening for a Webminister for the Chronicler’s Office. If you are interested, please email our Kingdom Chronicler at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* The Silver Buccle Herald, THL Sophie Davenport, is seeking 12 local heralds and a Region 5 herald. If you are interested in any of these positions, please let her know at email@example.com.
* The Kingdom Signets, Mistress Antoinette de la Croix and THL Shirin of Susa, are requesting scroll blanks for Kingdom Awards. If you are able to help out, kindly let them know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Letters of Intent are being accepted for the position of Kingdom Events Coordinator. Letters are due by August 15, 2019. Please email email@example.com to apply.
* The Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) is seeking candidates for the position of Society Webminister.
This position reports to the SCA Board of Directors through the Office of the President. The Society Webminister is a supervisory position of Kingdom Webministers and is not involved in the maintenance of the Corporate website (www.sca.org).
The Society Webminister is responsible for the following duties:
1. Ongoing development and revision of the Society Webminister’s policies and procedures, as detailed in the Society Webminister Handbook. This work will include solutions for website issues as they develop; observing trends; awareness of potential issues and streamlining webministry policies to provide better service to the SCA.
2. Develop and enforce clear guidelines for local SCA group websites based on the standards found in the Society Webminister’s Handbook.
3. Warranting of kingdom-level Webministers.
4. Supervision of all kingdom-level websites, including proper use of domain names, monitoring content, regular reporting from Kingdom Webministers, and enforcement of the Society Webministry policies and procedures.
5. Acting as a subject matter expert and resource regarding issues related to websites at the kingdom and local levels.
6. Quarterly reporting to the Board of Directors for the Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc.
* Moderate to expert proficiency in web-related technologies (e.g. HTML, Java, PHP, ASP, web hosting issues, etc.);
* Microsoft Word proficiency;
* The ability to clearly communicate via email, phone, and in written reports; and
* Dependable email access, internet, and phone access.
* Prior experience as a Webminister in the SCA; and
* Prior experience as an officer at the Kingdom or Baronial level.
Those interested in the position of Society Webminister should submit hard copies of résumés (both professional and SCA related, including offices held and honors) to the attention of ‘The Board of Directors’, SCA, Inc., P.O. Box 360789, Milpitas, CA 95036-0789. Electronic courtesy copies should also be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. The deadline for applications August 1, 2019.