Welcome to our Kingdom!
A Missive from Her Royal Majesty of Æthelmearc:
Greetings Fair Æthelmearc!
We hope you had a magnificent holiday season, full of memories that will bring you joy for years to come. Kingdom Twelfth Night has been celebrated in great splendor, and We were most pleased to see so many join us in the spirit of the event. The portraits of smiling faces is a trend we wish to continue to see, so much so that we plan something of a competition at Region 1 12th night, otherwise referred to by Us as the Shenanigan event.
January brought many new Kingdom Officers stepping forward to continue the hard work of those before them. We’ve welcomed Our new bardic champion, celebrated a Baronial Birthday, held Curia and We have recognized Our Kingdom Jewel.
February will welcome a new Baron & Baroness of Delftwood, see many travelers of all ranks at Ædult Swim and wrap up with a small but mighty Æthelmearc contingent heading to the Estrella War to represent Our Kingdom with valor and grace.
Many more will follow Us to the War with no enemies, Gulf Wars. If you have not had the opportunity to travel to foreign lands, We encourage you to do so. Learn from Our cousins new skills and return home to where the heart is.
For those who enjoy working on the War gift baskets: For Estrella We have the Newest Kingdom, Avacal. Our Heirs have been assigned the Heirs of Our hosts, the Kingdom of Atenveldt, yet to be determined (Their Crown tourney is to be held at the end of January). For Gulf Wars, We have been blessed with Our hosts, the Kingdom of Gleann Abhann (There is no exchange for Heirs). Additional information will be posted or you may seek out Our heads of Court.
We want to thank so many that have dedicated their time, their arts, their resources to supporting Our reign. The generosity has been overwhelming and We are grateful. We also know we are not alone, and that it has been a difficult year for many loosing loved ones. We hope that you are surround in love too, and you will continue to find the SCA a place of friendship and support throughout the years.
Queen of Æthelmearc
From the Kingdom Seneschal, Duke Christopher:
I would ask that all Kingdom officers make sure that their listings in the Æstel are up to date, particularly with respect to your term of office and the listings for your deputies. If these need to be updated, please let me know and I will pass the information along to the Webminister.
Seneschals– there have been revisions to the Society Seneschal policies. Please make sure that you have the most current version of the Seneschal Handbook from the Society for your reference. Also, long these same lines, please remember, that if you are having an event, that you MUST post the SCA bullying and harassment policy.
Local Seneschals: Please make sure that you have read the new directive from the Society Seneschal regarding sex offenders participating in SCA activities. This is very straightforward per the Society Seneschal:
“If someone discovers a person in the SCA is on a sex offender registry, they are to contact the Kingdom Seneschal. The Kingdom Seneschal will contact the Society Seneschal and forward all relevant information about the matter.”
Please do not investigate on your own. Just contact me and give me the name of the individual and any information that you have.
From Curia in Misty Highlands:
The following changes to Kingdom Law were made:
Section VIII-100 will now read as follows:
VIII-100 The PREFERRED dates for Kingdom events are:
• Twelfth Night: The 1st or 2nd weekend of January
• Spring Coronation: The 1st or 2nd weekend of April
• Spring Crown Tournament: The 1st or 2nd weekend of May
• Fall Coronation: The 3rd weekend of September
• Fall Crown Tournament: Columbus Day weekend in October
The SUGGESTED dates for Kingdom events are:
• Spring/Summer Æthelmearc Æcademy & War College: The 3rd weekend of June
• Fall Æthelmearc Æcademy & War College: The 2nd weekend of November
Bold type is my emphasis. The intent is to allow for somewhat more latitude in the scheduling of Æcademy without setting specific dates such as for Coronations and Crowns.
Law change number two involves section VIII-200: This will read the same as current law except that the $1200 limit has been changed to $1800. This limit has not been changed for years and is being adjust to account for inflation and changes in consumer pricing.
My term of office is up in September. I am pleased to announce the Mistress Illadore will be taking over as Seneschale in September. I have complete confidence in her ability to assume this role.
From the Kingdom Exchequer:
Greetings from your Kingdom Exchequer!
I hope everyone is recovering from their summer, and is in good health. As the weather turns more favorable, the trees start to shed their foliage, and our attentions turn more toward indoor pursuits, I have some regular seasonal reminders.
3rd Quarter Reports are due on October 31st. Now is the right time to make sure that all your records are in good order, all accounts balance, and all income and expenses are accounted for. Most of the year is now behind us, and if everything is fine for the 3rd quarter, then adding the 4th quarter generally shouldn’t be too difficult. And should everything not be in order, now is the right time to ask for help.
NMR payments are due 10 business days after the close of an event. This deadline has not changed. What has changed is that the Society people have been strongly encouraging me to suspend groups who are out-of-compliance, especially groups who are repeatedly out-of-compliance. Suspension can have a lot of bad effects, including cancellation of future events, a prohibition from paying for anything (possibly including your regular meeting rental), and double-secret probation.
The ideal time to write the NMR payment check is at the event, just after having closed and counted out the cash box. However, for events where the local exchequer is not present, during the following week is acceptable, but please make sure to get the NMR payment handled ASAP. If an exchequer is going to be unavailable during all of that time, they should make arrangements in advance to leave the checkbook with one of the other account signers so that this other person can get the NMR dealt with. Directions are in the Exchequer’s section of the AEthelmearc web site: http://aethelmearc.org/officers/exchequer/
Call for letters: My second term will be up at Pennsic next year. While I could take a one year extension, I’d prefer to not do so, but will if doing so provides for a smoother transition. I will be more than happy to act as a special deputy to my successor for several years to further ensure that everything continues to operate smoothly.
In Service, –Tofi
Upcoming Royal Progress Events
- February 19 - February 25
- February 23 @ 9:00 am - 10:00 pm
- March 1 @ 5:00 pm - March 3 @ 11:00 am
- March 9 - March 17
- March 9
- March 9 @ 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
- March 14
- March 29 @ 5:00 pm - March 31 @ 11:00 am
- March 30
- April 5 @ 4:00 pm - April 7 @ 5:00 pm
* There is a new Society Harassment and Bullying Policy, which can be found at http://socsen.sca.org/the-sca-harrassment-and-bullying-policy/.
* The new Æthelmearc Fighter Data Roster is available at http://authclerk.aethelmearc.org. Any questions or comments can be sent to Mistress Maria Christina de Cordoba, Kingdom Authorization Clerk, at email@example.com.
* There is an immediate need for a new Kingdom Historian and an opening for a Webminister for the Historian’s Office. There is also an opening for a Webminister for the Chronicler’s Office. If you are interested, please email our Kingdom Chronicler at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Letters of Intent are being accepted for Kingdom Exchequer. The 2-year term starts at Pennsic 2019. If you are interested, please email email@example.com.
*The Silver Buccle Herald, THL Sophie Davenport, is seeking 12 local heralds, a Region 5 herald, and an Archivist. If you are interested in any of these positions, please let her know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* The Kingdom Signets, Mistress Antoinette de la Croix and THL Shirin of Susa, are requesting scroll blanks for Kingdom Awards. If you are able to help out, kindly let them know at email@example.com.
* There are new Authorization Forms found on the Authorizations Clerk page.
* There are new Event Submission and Update forms found on the Event Submission Form page.
* Information regarding the icons found in event announcements can be found in the Icon Guide.
* There is a Frequently Asked Questions page on this site. Please see if your question is listed here.
* Check out the Kingdom of Æthelmearc’s Facebook Feed!