Welcome to our Kingdom!
A Missive from Her Royal Majesty of Æthelmearc:
Greetings Fair Æthelmearc!
Another QRC has come and gone, and a champion has been chosen – Dona (and Countess) Elena D’Artois. The fencing community and the rapier champion hold a special place in a Queen’s heart, and mine is no exception. Fencing is one of my favorite things to do in the SCA (It is, after all, part of how I met Titus!) and so this tournament was extremely important to me. Dona Elena is a rarity in that she is one of the very few roses who have also become a Rapier Champion!
This is also a season of giving, and I’ve been exceptionally fortunate. Toys for the kingdom’s children, desks for our scribes, cups for our newcomers. I am exceedingly fortunate, and very grateful to all who have, and who continue to, make our kingdom shine with generosity and kind service.
As the snow settles and the nights grow longer, making the lights and warmth of this season ever brighter, do not forget that there are those who would not know peace. Do not let your sword arms grow weak, or your aim grow poor, for before the dying of the ice dragon Kingdoms will meet, not once, but twice on the field of battle, and our allies have called for aid. Consider joining Us for Estrella and Gulf Wars, where Æthelmearc will have the chance to prove its mettle. Someday we may need to defend our lands, and it is important to strengthen ties with those of other Kingdoms, to both learn from them, and to find new friends and companions among their number.
But for now, as the year slowly fades to it’s ended, raise a glass to old friends no longer with us. Hug your family – born and chosen – close. Eat well, turn your hands to those things which give you joy, and dream of warmer days. I, your Queen, look forward to seeing you for our Kingdom Twelfth Night…the venue is lovely…as well as many more events.
Queen of Æthelmearc
From the Kingdom Seneschal, Duke Christopher:
Great officers— About half of have communicated to me regarding the state of your Policies. Please make sure that the policies for your office are in line with the Society Governing Documents and forward them to me so that I may review them and present them to the Crown. If you have done this within the last two years, please let me know as well.
Seneschals– there have been revisions to the Society Seneschal policies. Please make sure that you have the most current version of the Seneschal Handbook from the Society for your reference. Also, long these same lines, please remember, that if you are having an event, that you MUST post the SCA bullying and harassment policy.
Local Seneschals: Please make sure that you have read the new directive from the Society Seneschal regarding sex offenders participating in SCA activities. This is very straightforward per the Society Seneschal:
“If someone discovers a person in the SCA is on a sex offender registry, they are to contact the Kingdom Seneschal. The Kingdom Seneschal will contact the Society Seneschal and forward all relevant information about the matter.”
Please do not investigate on your own. Just contact me and give me the name of the individual and any information that you have.
From the Kingdom Exchequer:
Greetings from your Kingdom Exchequer!
I hope everyone is recovering from their summer, and is in good health. As the weather turns more favorable, the trees start to shed their foliage, and our attentions turn more toward indoor pursuits, I have some regular seasonal reminders.
3rd Quarter Reports are due on October 31st. Now is the right time to make sure that all your records are in good order, all accounts balance, and all income and expenses are accounted for. Most of the year is now behind us, and if everything is fine for the 3rd quarter, then adding the 4th quarter generally shouldn’t be too difficult. And should everything not be in order, now is the right time to ask for help.
NMR payments are due 10 business days after the close of an event. This deadline has not changed. What has changed is that the Society people have been strongly encouraging me to suspend groups who are out-of-compliance, especially groups who are repeatedly out-of-compliance. Suspension can have a lot of bad effects, including cancellation of future events, a prohibition from paying for anything (possibly including your regular meeting rental), and double-secret probation.
The ideal time to write the NMR payment check is at the event, just after having closed and counted out the cash box. However, for events where the local exchequer is not present, during the following week is acceptable, but please make sure to get the NMR payment handled ASAP. If an exchequer is going to be unavailable during all of that time, they should make arrangements in advance to leave the checkbook with one of the other account signers so that this other person can get the NMR dealt with. Directions are in the Exchequer’s section of the AEthelmearc web site: http://aethelmearc.org/officers/exchequer/
Call for letters: My second term will be up at Pennsic next year. While I could take a one year extension, I’d prefer to not do so, but will if doing so provides for a smoother transition. I will be more than happy to act as a special deputy to my successor for several years to further ensure that everything continues to operate smoothly.
In Service, –Tofi
Upcoming Royal Progress Events
- January 19 @ 9:00 am - 9:00 pm
- January 19 @ 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
- January 26 @ 10:00 am - 10:00 pm
- January 27 @ 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
- February 2
- February 9 @ 10:00 am - 9:00 pm
- February 9 @ 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- February 16 @ 8:00 am - February 17 @ 5:00 pm
- February 19 - February 25
- February 23 @ 9:00 am - 10:00 pm
* Curia of Anna Leigh will take place on Sunday, January 27, 2019 at 10:00 AM at Morgantown Elks Lodge 411, 1138 Chestnut Ridge Road, Morgantown, WV 26505.
* There is a new Society Harassment and Bullying Policy, which can be found at http://socsen.sca.org/the-sca-harrassment-and-bullying-policy/.
* The new Æthelmearc Fighter Data Roster is available at http://authclerk.aethelmearc.org. Any questions or comments can be sent to Mistress Maria Christina de Cordoba, Kingdom Authorization Clerk, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* There is an immediate need for a new Kingdom Historian and an opening for a Webminister for the Historian’s Office. There is also an opening for a Webminister for the Chronicler’s Office. If you are interested, please email our Kingdom Chronicler at email@example.com.
* Letters of Intent are being accepted for Kingdom Signet. The 2-year term starts at Spring Coronation 2019. If you are interested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Letters are due by February 1, 2019.
* Letters of Intent are being accepted for Kingdom Exchequer. The 2-year term starts at Pennsic 2019. If you are interested, please email email@example.com.
*The Silver Buccle Herald, THL Sophie Davenport, is seeking 12 local heralds, a Region 5 herald, and an Archivist. If you are interested in any of these positions, please let her know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Letters of Intent are being accepted for Silver Buccle Herald. The 2-year term starts at Spring Crown. If you are interested, please email email@example.com.
* The Kingdom Signets, Mistress Antoinette de la Croix and THL Shirin of Susa, are requesting scroll blanks for Kingdom Awards. If you are able to help out, kindly let them know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* There are new Authorization Forms found on the Authorizations Clerk page.
* There are new Event Submission and Update forms found on the Event Submission Form page.
* Information regarding the icons found in event announcements can be found in the Icon Guide.
* There is a Frequently Asked Questions page on this site. Please see if your question is listed here.
* Check out the Kingdom of Æthelmearc’s Facebook Feed!